Philosophiae Seanalis Principia

A blog for my ranting and Sean-information passing purposes.

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Some Philosophy For You Kids

The deepest questions are often asked by those who don't need or want the deepest answer. Because they aren't looking for philosophy. I'm always looking for philosophy.
The other day at work I left my locker with my blue "How can-I-help-you?" vest and approached the time clock in order to clock in. There I found one of my fellow Wal-mart associates waiting patiently.
"Are you waiting to clock in?" I asked.
"No," she said, "I'm about to go to lunch."
"Ohh," I said and looked at the time to if it was anything special. It was an insignificant odd number poised to change to some insignificant even number. I then realized what she was doing. "You want that whole minute don't you?"
"Yes I do," said she, "don't you?" That was enough to make me pause. I didn't even answer her question. Not because I'm rude or anything, but because I was not prepared to. It struck me deeply. Do I want that whole minute? Does it matter? Do I really gain that much time? I suppose that over a period of weeks I do gain a significant amount of time. But, what about all the time I waist waiting for that minute to flip over? Is it less important time because I'm standing there wasting it getting paid? Maybe so and maybe not. I'm not entirely sure if I'm that kind of person. That seems like a thing that sort of defines you. Do you really care about that thirty extra seconds of lunch time you get by waiting? After the minute flipped she clocked out and then so did I.
"I don't know..." I finally muttered as she walked off.
So tell me folks. Tell me. Leave a comment. Do you want that whole minute? And if so, Why? Or why not?

5 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

I must say, this is one of the most interesting blogs I've seen in a while.

As for that extra minute, or thirty seconds, no, I don't want it, or need it. It seems that places round up or down to the nearest quarter of an hour. So maybe, if it were to change from seven to eight past, then I would want it, but since it usually does not unless I took an extra long lunch, that thirty seconds can be free for my work.

Why? Because they are good people there, and I like what they do. I do not feel like manipulating extra money out of KIPR, because they have been good to me over the past year and a half, and it appears that will continue to be good to me, and beg for me to come back for as long as I'm willing to deal with the fact that they can't afford to give me enough hours to live on. (I must admit though, they do give me shirts, and hats, and pens and stickers & stuff instead though, and a plane ticket.)

I guess what it all comes down to is loyalty. This is the first place that I've worked, and I enjoy my job, my co-workers, and my boss. So the question becomes is it more important those 30 seconds I give them each day, or the 210 seconds I spend responding to this blog?

10:30 AM  
Blogger Alustriel said...

Yes I would want the whole min because they do round. And over a life time of working who know how many extra whole mins you can earn or lose. Besides I get to just stand there for another 30seconds and not have to really think.

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lot of things can happen in a minute. Like me!

4:07 AM  
Blogger Mr. Greene (and His Orchestra) said...

Rodknee's got the right idea. Screw that extra minute: I clock in when I arrive, and I clock out when I'm done. I won't be a slave to the second hand...maybe that's why I'm always late. Eh, who cares. I enjoy myself.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

Hmm...maybe I'm a freak but I looked into this WAY deeper than my fellow commenters. If I had to answer the question under their parameters, then, no, I don't want the extra minute because I fucking hate my job.
If I answer it with my interpretation of the question, then, yes. I always want the extra minute. Waiting around for the clock to turn is a waste of my time. I'm not going to be here forever. I want to squeeze in as much fun as possible.

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home