Philosophiae Seanalis Principia

A blog for my ranting and Sean-information passing purposes.

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Cryptonomi-fun

I don't know if it'll be that funny to you folks but when I thought about it introspectively it almost made me fall out of my chair, which would have been embarrassing since I was reading in the breakroom at the time. I love this book, Cryptonomicon. You all should definitely give it a read. He's great with the subtle yet over the top sarcastic humor that I strive to create in my own book. Anyway, here's the passage, truncated a bit:

"Don't look at me that way," Avi says, "I don't masturbate."
"Never?" ... "Why on Earth would you do such a thing, Avi?"
"Enhances my devotion to Devorah. Makes the sex better. Gives me an incentive to get back home."
"Well that's touching," Randy says, ... "But it's more masochism than I'm willing to shoulder at this point in my life."
"Why? Are you afraid that it will push you into-"
"Irrational behavior? Definitely."
"And by that," Avi says, "you mean, actually committing to Amy in some way."
"I know you think that you just kicked me in the nuts rhetorically," Randy says, "but your premise is totally wrong. I'm ready to commit to her at any time. But for god's sake, I'm not even sure she's heterosexual. I'd be madness to put a Lesbian in charge of my ejaculatory functions."
--Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. p. 672


Ah good stuff. I'm really liking Stephenson's work. Snow Crash was really good and so is this one. I'm definitely moving on to the baroque Cycle in the near future. It's basic 3000 pages of the same historical fiction goodness that is Cryptonomicon. You can read more about Neal Stephenson's tasty literature here.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right, that was funny.

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

geez you forgot to capitalize god. i would never allow myself to publish something that had the word god in it and not capitalize correctly. god sean, what's your deal anyway? you are totally a god hater. i hate you, too sean. for all of you who happen to read this, i hate you, as well. geez thanks for such a blemish on the rest of my Fucking week.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I did not forget to capitalize god. In fact, in the first draft of the post, I had it capitalized. I didn't realize the error until I went back over it to check for accuracy and found that the original text was published as shown, minus the little bits I left out, of course.

9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Outside of the box, Sean. Call me when u arrive.

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home